Dr. Kali Trzesniewski is a social-developmental psychologist interested in self-esteem and achievement processes and development. The goal of her program of research is to delineate the normative trajectories of self-esteem and achievement and understand the role of self-esteem and achievement as a cause and/or consequence of important life experiences. To address these issues, she uses a wide range of research designs, including experimental, cross-sectional, longitudinal, and twin studies, and a wide range of statistical procedures, including structural equation modeling, quantitative genetics, latent growth curve modeling, hierarchical linear modeling, and meta-analytic procedures.
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Causal Attribution
- Evolution and Genetics
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Self and Identity
- Tracy, J. L., Cheng, J. T., Robins, R. W., & Trzesniewski, K. H. (in press). Authentic and hubristic pride: The affective core of self-esteem and narcissism. Self and Identity.
- Trzesniewski, K. H., & Donnellan, M. B. (in press). Rethinking “Generation Me”: A Study of cohort effects from 1976-2006. Perspectives in Psychological Science.
- Arseneault, L., Walsh, E., Trzesniewski, K. H., Newcombe, R., Caspi, A., & Moffitt, T. E. (2006). Bullying victimization uniquely contributes to adjustment problems in young children: A nationally representative cohort study. Pediatrics, 118, 130-138.
- Blackwell, L. A., Trzesniewski, K. H., & Dweck, C. S. (2007). Theories of intelligence and achievement across the junior high school transition: A longitudinal study and an intervention. Child Development, 78, 246-263.
- Donnellan, M. B., Trzesniewski, K.H, Conger, K. J. & Conger, R. D. (2007). A three-wave longitudinal study of self-evaluations during young adulthood. Journal of Research in Personality, 41, 453-472.
- Donnellan, M. B., Trzesniewski, K. H., Robins, R. W., Moffitt, T. E., & Caspi, A. (2005). Low self-esteem is related to aggression, antisocial behavior, and delinquency. Psychological Science, 16, 328-335.
- Robins, R. W., Noftle, E. E., Trzesniewski, K. H., & Roberts, B. W. (2005). Do people know how their personality has changed? Correlates of perceived and actual personality change in young adulthood. Journal of Personality, 73, 489-521.
- Robins, R. W., & Trzesniewski, K. H. (2005). Self-esteem development. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 14, 158-162.
- Trzesniewski, K. H., Donnellan, M. B., Caspi, A., Moffitt, T. E., Robins, R. W., & Poultin, R. (2006). Adolescent low self-esteem is a risk factor for adult poor health, criminal behavior, and limited economic prospects. Developmental Psychology, 42, 381-390.
- Trzesniewski, K. H., Donnellan, M. B., & Robins, R. W. (2008). Do today's young people really think they are so extraordinary? An examination of secular changes in narcissism and self-enhancement. Psychological Science, 19, 181-188.
- Trzesniewski, K. H., Donnellan, M. B., & Robins, R. W. (2008). Is “Generation Me” really more narcissistic than previous generations? Journal of Research in Personality, 76, 903-918.
- Trzesniewski, K. H., Moffitt, T. E., Caspi, A., Taylor, A., & Maughan, B. (2006). Revisiting the association between reading ability and antisocial behavior: New evidence from a longitudinal behavior genetics study. Child Development, 77, 72-88.
- Donnellan, M. B., Trzesniewski, K. H., & Robins, R. W. (2006). Personality and self-esteem development in adolescence. In D. K. Mroczek & T. Little (Eds.), Handbook of personality development (pp. 285-309). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Robins, R. W., Tracy, J. L., & Trzesniewski, K. H. (2008). Naturalizing the self. In John, O. P., Robins, R. W., & Pervin, L. A. (Editors). Handbook of personality: Theory and research (3rd Edition). New York: Guilford.
- Robins, R. W., Trzesniewski, K. H., & Schriber, R. A. (2008). Assessing self-esteem. In. F. T. L. Leong (Eds.) Encyclopedia of Counseling. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Human and Community Development
University of California, Davis
Davis, California 95616